Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Polite but Uncaring... Am I?

So today, we had a post UMA trip debrief and one of the students made a profound statement when talking about what will stick with her from our weekend in Vancouver. She said that we live in a society that is polite but uncaring. This struck me as absolute truth. Everyone in the room stopped and was silent for a minute, and I think we all felt the truth of those words hit us. How often am I that uncaring person? How often am I just polite, because I don't want to care that day? I hope that as those words have reverberated in my soul, that they would in yours too. Are we those people? If we say that we live in a society that is this way... are we not a part of that very society? Oh, I pray to God that I am not one of those people. I want the world to see me as separate... as a child of the Most High. 

Last night, I had the amazing opportunity to hang out with an incredible little girl... Elena Joy. Boy, do I love this little girl :) She is one of Cam's cousins daughter's. She is also the first grandbaby on that side of the family. And she has her own unique struggles. She was born with Spina Bifida, and that sounded very grim to all of us the day that she made her entrance into this world. She's 4 months old now... and has amazed all of us with her growth! God has worked miracles in this precious baby's life. And I love that I can be a part of that life, and continue to see how God will work. She also has amazing parents, who love her more than she will ever understand. I love to spend time cuddling this little one, especially when she's asleep and so very peaceful... because when she isn't asleep, she is more than able to scream up a storm! :) 


That being said... I am set on writing a paper tonight. This semester, I've been able to take an evening class at CBC, and am loving it. It also happens to be on Tuesday nights and finishes just before Vespers... so that's a HUGE bonus for me!! Back to the topic... I get to write an 8-10 page research paper on a specific learning disability. I have chosen to write on non-verbal learning disorders in children with Spina Bifida. And as strange as it is, I'm excited to learn more about this... because maybe one day that beautiful little girl will struggle with one of more of these things. 

Last thing that I need to share today... I didn't realize how much I've needed personal & professional encouragement lately, until I've been constantly getting it. I've had random students and staff members approach me and thank me for being how I am, and for the joy and light that I daily bring to them. And it moves me... I can make a difference. I think that is the most mind-blowing thing for me. I feel as though I am incapable of changing anything where I am, but I still try to talk to people, and get to know names of students, and know what is going on in their lives. I don't want to just be another face. I also don't want them to feel like one face of many. I want them to know that they matter, and maybe it's a random receptionist knowing their name, and asking what they had for breakfast... haha. I want to be that random person... so that I can put smiles on people's faces. That is what brings me joy. 

I feel like I'm supposed to end this with a prayer.... haha. It feels like I was just preaching or sharing my soul. Whew! Intense stuff for me. :) 

Off to writing I go... 

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment