Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Age of Entitlement

Perhaps this is wrong of me to write about... but I started thinking about it this morning. Apparently that's what our church service was on... often I miss out, as I help in the nursery. At least I have a husband who listens & summarizes for me after!! :) 

We think we are entitled to everything. But who are we to think that? We sin every single day, we do nothing that's really worthwhile. We live lives of meaningless day-to-day routine. Yet, we still think that we are entitled to the comforts of a lavish home, a good conversation with properly placed grammar, a family, a house with three kids and two dogs running around. But no... we are not entitled to ANY of that. We wouldn't have anything that we do without the incredible grace of our God & Father. He brought us up from the miry clay and made us righteous in His eyes. He has given us blessing after blessing to be thankful for, but instead of us rejoicing in His blessings and praising God for them, we think we had every right for these things to happen to us. 

I know I fail in this. Possibly my biggest passion and heartache is to become a mother. I would love to be one now, but I know that the timing is slightly off at this point. But I know that often I take for granted good health, and the ability to have children. I think everyone should be able to. But who says that I will be able to? That is my greatest fear, that I would be incapable of conceiving a child. But God doesn't just give us passions & desires for no reason. I don't know what God has in store for us... but I do know that He will be faithful. Whether we adopt from somewhere, or have all natural children, or a mixture. Maybe we'll walk a journey of infertility together... God only knows. And all that we can do is trust. 

Today I ate a second turkey dinner in less than 24 hours. How blessed are we?! To sit around to separate tables with two different families in less than a day and celebrate God's faithfulness to us. I can't help but smile on a beautiful day such as this when God is just showering me in reminders of His providence over our lives. What an awesome God we serve. 

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Phil. 4:6

I leave you with that. Be thankful. 

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment